Thursday, August 6, 2020

info@theabujatimes.com

Interconnectivity debt affecting operations of Nigeria’s telecom operators

Must read

Solskjaer confirms permanent Inter move for Man Utd flop Sanchez

The Red Devils boss has wished the Chilean attacker all the best after sealing a transfer away from Old Trafford

Beirut explosion: Pentagon chief contradicts Trump, says blast was an ‘accident’

US Defence Secretary Mark Esper said on Wednesday that the devastating explosion in Beirut was an "accident", contradicting a claim made by President Donald Trump...

Facebook, Twitter Remove Video Posts From Trump, Citing False COVID-19 Information

Facebook and Twitter removed posts from President Donald Trump late Wednesday, citing COVID-19 misinformation. The post from the president showed a...

Man City sign Bournemouth defender Ake in £40m deal

The Netherlands international follows Spanish winger Ferran Torres to the Etihad Stadium as Pep Guardiola looks to refresh his squad

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has reassured the over 174 million telecoms consumers of their protection from service disruption following the lingering interconnectivity debt.

The Executive Vice Chairman (EVC) of NCC, Umar Danbatta, gave the assurance on Thursday in Abuja.

In a statement made available to journalists by Henry Nkemadu, the Commission’s Director, Public Affairs, Mr Danbatta said NCC has taken regulatory intervention towards resolving the rising interconnectivity debts among telecoms operators resulting to service distrust ion..

He admonished debtor operators to settle interconnect debts owed their creditor networks without further delay to prevent possible revenue drop and customer flight from their networks to competitors.

The NCC boss said, as a consumer-centric telecoms regulatory authority, the NCC is keen on ensuring that the consumers continue to enjoy uninterrupted service while efforts are being made to address the issue of indebtedness in the industry.

Mr Danbatta stated that the issue of interconnection is a matter being handled “delicately within the purview of the regulatory provisions to protect consumers by ensuring that their quality of experience (QoE) is not acutely affected”

He recalled that regulatory approval on permission for disconnection was granted to creditor networks late last year, as a last resort towards resolving the huge interconnection debts threatening the health and sustainability of the industry.

Specifically, he recalled that the commission granted approval to MTN’s request to disconnect debtor networks from its network in line with Section 100 of the Nigerian Communications Act (NCA) 2003.

He, however, noted that, “what is happening now is that the creditor networks are restricting certain services to their debtor networks in form of one-way disconnection.

“It is one-way disconnection because, as a Regulator, we prevented total disconnection; not doing that would be frustrating for the consumers.

“So, we have ensured that subscribers on the affected debtor networks are able to receive calls and text messages from creditor networks.

“This means they might not be able to make seamless calls or send text messages to the creditor’s network at all times because of restriction of access to debtor networks, pending when satisfactory payment plans are reached with respect to the Interconnect indebtedness.

“This is to prevent further accumulation of interconnect debt by the debtor networks,” he said.

Danbatta, frowned at the slow pace at reaching settlement over undisputed interconnect bills among the affected operators.

He said with over 90 per cent of pre-paid customers on mobile networks, “operators have no reason not to be settling their interconnection bills as and when due.”

He advised consumers experiencing such difficulty in reaching certain networks to use alternative lines bearing in mind that Nigeria is a multi-SIMing telecoms market.

“You will recall that in the Pre-Disconnection Notice issued last year on December 18, 2018, we gave another period of between 10-21 days for the debtors (depending on whether they are service networks or exchange operators) to pay, so as not to lose their interconnection rights.

“We had expected that as responsible business entities, the debtor companies will either pay up or agree satisfactory payment plans with their creditors.

“But it appears no agreeable settlements plans have been reached after the expiration of the deadline, leading to the creditor’s decision to go ahead with the execution of the one-way disconnection, as permitted by the NCA Act 2003, which is what some subscribers are currently experiencing,” he said.

Danbatta, while assuring the Nigerians and telecoms consumers that the issue would soon be resolved, expressed the commitment of the Commission to ensure respite comes the way of the consumers soon.

“As regulator, our central role is to protect the consumers and ensure sustainability of the telecom industry.

“We do this through creating a level-playing field for all the licensees such that no operator is allowed to undermine the operations of another licensee in a way that is capable of negatively impacting on the health of the industry.

“The NCC is on top of the situation to ensure measures are taken as soon as possible to address the concerns of the affected telecoms consumers.

“Allowing interconnect debts among licensees to accumulate without ensuring settlement is dangerous for our industry and for the telecoms consumers,” he said.

The NCC boss appealed to telecoms consumers for their understanding as the commission worked with operators to resolve the matter. (NAN)

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

Solskjaer confirms permanent Inter move for Man Utd flop Sanchez

The Red Devils boss has wished the Chilean attacker all the best after sealing a transfer away from Old Trafford

Beirut explosion: Pentagon chief contradicts Trump, says blast was an ‘accident’

US Defence Secretary Mark Esper said on Wednesday that the devastating explosion in Beirut was an "accident", contradicting a claim made by President Donald Trump...

Facebook, Twitter Remove Video Posts From Trump, Citing False COVID-19 Information

Facebook and Twitter removed posts from President Donald Trump late Wednesday, citing COVID-19 misinformation. The post from the president showed a...

Man City sign Bournemouth defender Ake in £40m deal

The Netherlands international follows Spanish winger Ferran Torres to the Etihad Stadium as Pep Guardiola looks to refresh his squad

COVID-19: Commission warns against neglecting poor students in digital education

The Director General, Development Agenda for Western Nigeria (DAWN) commission, Mr. Seye Oyeleye, has warned against exclusion of indigent children in digital learning,...